White Coat Ceremony
Notification will be sent by the Office of Student Affairs with the specific details on how students will get fitted for their White Coat, obtain tickets to attend the event and parental involvement during the coating ceremony. In advance of such notification following are instructions for participating in the ceremony on the day of White Coat ceremony scheduled for Thursday, May 10th, 2018:
- Report to the Columbia University, Roone Arledge Auditorium, Alfred Lerner Hall, 1st floor, (2920 Broadway, New York, NY 10027) at 1:00 PM. You will be directed by security upon entering. Family and friends should not arrive prior to 1:00 PM. Access and seating inside Columbia University’s Alfred Lerner Hall Auditorium is restricted prior to 9:00AM. Please be sure to remind your guests of this, as anyone arriving prior to the designated time will not be granted entrance. Seating for ticketed guests will be collected during check in.
- Students will pick up their white coat. In the right hand pocket you will find a DO Pledge pin, the program, Osteopathic Pledge & Oath of Commitment, and a 3X5 card with your name on it.
- Students will then be instructed to get their professional photo taken.
- Students will be lined up in height order.
- At 3:00 PM sharp, students will be led into the auditorium in two lines. Students will be seated front center in the auditorium.
- On cue, one row at a time will stand and proceed to the right hand side of the stage. When you reach the top of the stairs, hand your 3X5 card to Dr. Prancan and whisper your name to him. He then will announce you.
- Upon hearing your name, you will proceed to center stage, have your coat put on and take a photo with the Dean. (For those students who would like to be coated by their parent/faculty, complete the Robing at White Coat Ceremony form) by May 3rd, 2018. After we gather all of the completed forms, instructions will be provided to the designated persons. There will be designated seats for persons who will be robing. Please note, only one person can hood per student and those who are designated on the form to robe will be allowed to accompany you on stage.
- Students will then proceed to the opposite side of the stage, walk off stage and proceed to your seat.
- Parents and friends will enter the auditorium at 1:00 PM.
- No balloons are allowed inside Alfred Lerner Hall. Please be sure to remind your guests that balloons are not permitted.
The instructions provided above will be repeated during the ceremony at the Academy.
For directions to the Columbia University, Roone Arledge Auditorium, Alfred Lerner Hall.