Attending Conferences and Seminars
The Policy for Student Funding for Seminars and Conferences:
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine encourages medical students to participate in seminars, conferences and educational programs to promote a better understanding of medical education and the field of osteopathic medicine. The cost incurred for these educational experiences is the responsibility of the participating students.
From time to time, medical students are given the honor to present, hold elected office, or to serve on a committee at a conference, seminar, or medical meeting. When such honor or opportunity presents itself, and when it directly represents the interest of the medical school, consideration will be given to a request for funding.
Although each request will be reviewed on its own merits, the following general guideline will be followed:
- Elected or designated officers of the SGA Executive Board to attend an approved conference or seminar- reimbursement up to $1000.00 per student meeting.
- Student presenting at a scientific meeting or as part of an educational program- reimbursement up to $1000.00 per student.
- Student presenting a poster at a conference or seminar- reimbursement up to $500 per student.
- Elected officers or delegates of official School Organizations, required to attend regional and national meetings- reimbursement up to $1000.00 per student.
- Students requesting funding must submit either a Travel & Expense Reimbursement Form to be completed if expenses are over $500.00 or a Check Request Form to be completed if expenses are $500.00 or less. A student will also be required to complete a W9 if it is a first time reimbursement request.
- Review and adhere to the Travel Policy.
Exceptions to the above will also be considered on a case by case basis. There is no obligation to honor every request, therefore students are strongly encouraged to obtain prior approval prior to making final arrangements. Harlem campus: please email Ms. Carolyn Burrowes at email@example.com.
Students who choose to attend a scientific presentation or conference without being required by a regional or national committee, or do meet the above criteria may not receive reimbursement from Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, but may request for an excused absence for classes missed which may be granted at the discretion of the Dean of Students.
Student approved for attending off-campus conferences or events remain fully responsible for all presented information from missed lectures, laboratories, and/or other course assignments. Any missed examinations must be promptly resolved in coordination with the appropriate instructor/coordinator as described earlier.