Pathologists’ Assistant Admissions
The Pathologists’ Assistant Master of Science program is offered only at our Harlem campus. All new entrants into the program have a fall start date (late July).
Online applications will be accepted from February 1 through June 1. All supporting materials must be received by July 25. Please review the prerequisite and admissions requirements before submitting your application.
The application deadline is July 25
Everything, including supporting documents, must be received by July 27. Classes start with the fall semester in late July.
Program Prerequisites and Admissions Requirements
- Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college with a minimum 3.0 GPA
You will need a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college with an overall GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. A science GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or better, is preferred. All foreign transcripts must be accompanied by a NACES accredited evaluation.
You must have completed an acceptable academic year sequence, with no grade below 2.5 on a 4.0-point scale, in each of the following subjects:
- Biology: At least 8 semester hours, including 2 hours of lab work (a 4 or 5 on the AP Biology exam or a 6 or 7 on the IB Biology are acceptable substitutes).
- Inorganic Chemistry: At least 8 semester hours, including 2 hours of lab work (a 4 or 5 on the AP Chemistry exam or 6 or 7 on the IB Chemistry are acceptable substitutes).
- Organic Chemistry: At least 8 semester hours, including 2 hours of lab work. 4 hours of Biochemistry may count toward your total.
- Physics: At least 8 semester hours, including 2 hours of lab work (a 4 or 5 on the AP Physics exam 6 or 7 on the IB Physics are acceptable substitutes).
- English Composition: At least 6 semester hours (a 4 or 5 on the AP English Composition or English Literature exam or a 6 or 7 on the IB Language A are acceptable substitutes).
- Mathematics and/or Computer Science: At least 3 semester hours (a 4 or 5 on the AP Pre-Calculus, Calculus AB or BC, or Statistics exams, or 6 or 7 on the IB Mathematics are acceptable substitutes).
- Behavioral Sciences: At least 6 semester hours. Behavioral Sciences include psychology, sociology, and anthropology, amongst others (a 4 or 5 on the AP Psychology exam, a 6 or 7 on the IB Psychology, or a 6 or 7 on the IB Social and Cultural Anthropology are acceptable substitutes for at least 3 semester hours within this category).
Please note, any AP or IB score being used for a pre-requisite is subject to verification via a copy of your AP scores from the College Board or the International Baccalaureate Organization.
Please refer to https://help.liaisonedu.com for a full listing of which subjects may be used to fulfill each of the above requirements.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
One letter should be written by a pathologist or pathologists’ assistant. The two others should be from biological or physical science professors from whom you earned a grade in class. An official letter from the College Premedical Committee may substitute for two science letters of recommendation.
- Shadowing hours
20 documented hours of shadowing a pathologist(s) or pathologists’ assistant(s)
- GRE, GMAT or MCAT (recommended, not required)
Submission of GRE/GMAT or Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) exam scores is recommended, but not mandatory.
How to Apply
A step-by-step guide to take you through our online application.
The first step in the application process is to create an account Touro's online application system.
- Visit apply.touro.edu and select the CREATE ACCOUNT tab, then enter the requested information (first and last name, email address, date of birth and zip code).
- Create and enter a case-sensitive password. Note the instructions regarding a mixture of case-sensitive letters and symbols.
- Click the CREATE ACCOUNT button.
- If you have submitted an application to a different Touro College and University System campus, you must create an additional application account to apply to this program. You may use the same email address to create the additional account so ignore the message you receive about creating a duplicate record and click CONTINUE AND CREATE ACCOUNT. A new record will be created and your previous record will not be edited or deleted.
A new screen will appear with your application PIN number. If you wish to proceed immediately to the application:
- Click the LOGIN button
- Click the CONTINUE AND CREATE button
The PIN number will also be emailed to the address you entered, together with a link to the login screen you may use to log in at another time should you be unable to complete the application in one sitting.
After you have created an account and logged into the system:
Click the START APPLICATION button
- If this is your first visit to the website, you will click the EDIT APPLICATION button.
- Required items are designated with an asterisk (*) and the application cannot be submitted until all required items have been provided.
Enter the requested personal information.
Enter the requested contact information.
- From the LOCATION WHERE YOU WISH TO APPLY drop-down menu, select Touro College.
- From the SCHOOL/COLLEGE drop-down menu, select Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- From the DEGREE PROGRAM drop-down menu, select the degree option for which you are applying: MS – Pathologists' Assistant
- For MATRICULATION STATUS: ARE YOU SEEKING A DEGREE? Select YES.
- From the MAJOR/DEPARTMENT drop-down menu, select the degree option for which you are applying: MS – Pathologists' Assistant
- From the DORMITORY drop-down menu, select No Dormitory Available
- From the ENTERING AS drop-down, select NEW GRADUATE STUDENT
This section will not appear until you select Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in the ACADEMIC PLAN section above.
- Enter the requested information for ALL colleges/universities you attended, including, but not limited to, the college/university from which you earned your degree(s).
- Do NOT upload unofficial copies of your transcripts. Please note all students are required to submit OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS for all of colleges attended for the application to be considered complete. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Official transcripts should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you attended a school outside of the United States or Canada, please send an official copy of the transcript evaluation from a NACES accredited evaluation service such as WES or J. Silny. Please note, yeshiva or seminary transcripts from Israel do need to be sent but do not need to be evaluated.
- To locate your school(s) using the search function, first enter the two letter abbreviation for the state in which your school is located, then click search. Select your school from the list of schools in that state. If your school is not found, please enter the information manually.
- If entering credit hours, note that credit hours must be rounded to the nearest tenth (e.g., 70.58 becomes 70.6, 70 becomes 70.0).
- In this section, you may also enter information regarding any professional certifications, credentials, etc.
- Under the heading School of Osteopathic Medicine –NY, select Touro College (NY)-MS Pathologists' Assistant
- Complete all 5 pages of the fillable Word document – do not save the document as docx (leave as a doc). Please note, MAC users should complete the form using Pages, but upload a pdf.
- Experiences/Awards (p. 1): Please answer each question briefly, in either list/bullet points or paragraph form.
- Personal statement (p. 2-3): The page break will not be automatic when copy/pasting your statement, so please break up the text and be sure the full text appears when split between pages.
- Pre-requisite verification chart (p. 4-5): Please list courses taken to fulfill each category. For repeated courses, you need only list the most recent or highest grade achieved.
- For classes that include labs, you may indicate lecture/lab in one line (e.g. Biology 1 lecture/lab, 4+1, B+/A-)
- Under “Additional Relevant Coursework”, you may list courses taken in pre-requisite categories beyond the minimum required credits.
The PathA MS Program at TouroCOM requires a minimum of three letters of recommendation, two of which must be from biological or physical science professors from whom you earned a grade in class. A committee letter from your college’s pre-medical or pre-health committee may be substituted for all three letters.
Letters may be submitted directly to TouroCOM directly from your adviser or individual letter writers, Virtual Evals, or Interfolio. If using VirtualEvals, please notify email@example.com of the method of submission.
Letters may also be submitted using the Touro online application system. To do so, you will need the name and email address of the letter writer (or, for committee letters, the name and email address of the person compiling the letters), and you will need to follow the steps below.
You should only use this section if you are inviting your letter writers to submit their letters through the Touro online application system. If your letters are being submitted through Virtual Evals, Interfolio, or directly from the letter writer or school do not use this section. Doing so will delay the processing of your application.
- Click the RECOMMENDATION PROVIDER LIST button.
- Click the ADD A RECOMMENDER button.
- Insert the name and contact information for each reference.
- For DIVISION OR PROGRAM, select ALL OTHER TOURO SCHOOLS AND PROGRAMS.
- DO YOU WISH TO WAIVE YOUR RIGHT TO EXAMINE THIS LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION? We recommend selecting YES for this option; otherwise, your letter writers may not feel as though they can provide as much detail as expected.
- WILL THIS PROVIDER BE SUBMITTING THE LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION ONLINE? You must select YES for this option.
- Once the recommendation provider information is saved, an email will be sent to the online recommendation provider with an access code and instructions on how to proceed with the online recommendation.
- When the recommendation provider submits the form to our office it will become a part of your application.
- You can view the status of your online recommendations each time you log into your application account.
Please note the following:
- Your Recommendations will automatically be matched to your application upon submission.
- The access code is valid for 180 days from the date you input and save their information.
- To complete the Recommendation online, a Recommendation provider must have a valid email address.
- If you would like to send a reminder, check the box next to his/her name and click on the RESEND button. This will automatically generate a reminder email.
- Click on the CHECK YOUR APPLICATION section to verify that the minimum required information/documents have been provided. Any missing information/documents will be noted and you will not be able to submit until they are provided. When all information/items are provided, you may click on the CONTINUE TO SUBMISSION button. Although there is an option to preview your application, please disregard the resulting pdf.
- Follow the instructions to pay the application fee and submit your application. Your application cannot be submitted until the application fee is paid. You will receive a confirmation email when your application is submitted.
- IMPORTANT: Do not select the option to mail in a check for your application fee. Touro College New York requires that all application fees be paid via credit card through the online application. Mailed checks will not be processed.
- Once submitted, you can edit your profile information (e.g., email address) but you cannot change anything else within the application. Make absolutely certain all information is correct before you submit your application.
Once your online application has been received, your application will not be complete for review until the following materials have been received.
Official Transcripts must be submitted from all undergraduate institutions attended. E-transcripts are also accepted.
Letters of recommendation (please see above for methods of submission)
MCAT score report (if you are submitting, this is not required) should be emailed as a PDF of your Printable Score Report, which contains a verification code. This report can be accessed in the AAMC score reporting system and saved as a PDF.
Shadowing Documentation should be emailed as a PDF.
Submitting AP or IB Score Reports: If you will be using an AP or IB exam to fulfill a pre-requisite, please follow these instructions.
AP reports - A pdf copy of the AP score report should be downloaded from https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/view-scores and the resulting pdf should be emailed to the Office of Admissions. If your AP scores are more than 4 years old, you may need to order an archived report from College Board which can take at least 2 weeks to receive. If you need to order an archived report, you will need to wait until the College receives said scores and no other documentation (e.g., a quote from your College's website about AP transfer credit policy) will act as a substitute. Please note, we only accept AP scores of 4 or 5.
IB reports - Your IB report can be submitted electronically to TouroCOM (go to IBO.org and select school # 038943 - Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine). Once the IB report has been ordered, please email the Office of Admissions. Please note, we only accept IB scores of 6 or 7.
Mailing address and email address for submission of these materials are listed below.
Submitting Your Application
Submit your application online at apply.touro.edu and official e-transcripts and pdf copies of test scores to PathA.Admissions@touro.edu. If e-transcripts are not available, paper transcripts should be mailed to:
Office of Admissions
2090 Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd, #519
New York, NY 10027
Selected applicants will be contacted to schedule an on-campus interview.
The Interview Process
We know you are more than a piece of paper. Admissions interviews give us a chance to better understand you—and your potential.
Generally, we schedule campus visits so that we may interview candidates in person. Zoom interviews may be an option for those students who are otherwise unable to visit our campus.
The campus visit can include a tour of our medical college facilities. Tours give applicants the chance to learn more about TouroCOM and the surrounding Harlem community.
Faculty members of the medical college usually conduct each interview, and submit their recommendations to the program director for review. An interview does not guarantee acceptance.